My Blog List

Pages

Total Pageviews

Monday, November 23, 2009

Weekend Wisdom---and a Whole Lot of Fun














As I sit here typing... I should be packing. Correction-- I should be cleaning out my closet because there is no way I can take everything I've accumulated this year to my new house. Moving day is set for Nov. 30th and there is SO MUCH TO DO between now and then. I'm really good at procrastination, however, (i.e. this blog entry you're reading), and I work best under pressure, so no worries, people! At least not yet...

I had a fabulous weekend in Gulfport, Mississippi celebrating the nuptials of my girlfriend, Morgan, from college. Lots of people from the coast go to Mississippi State, so I've had several friends from there for a long time--but let me tell you about my newest one--- MiMi Martin! She is my friend Caroline's 82-year-old grandmother. Beautiful, smart, generous, hilarious, and awesome-- She offered to take us to brunch at the new yacht club on Saturday. I was weary of the idea at first because "brunch" always implies waking up and dressing up at what I usually think of as way too early in the morning. But as it turned out-- Caroline and I are perfect roommates, since neither of us are capable of sleeping in past 6am anymore. I think this could be another side effect of turning 30... but I am secretly still hoping it is just a phase and will pass.

Anyway-- we met MiMi at 10am and she was already two Bloody Mary's deep. Caroline and I ordered mimosas in an effort to catch up, and the next couple of hours we spent chatting. We heard stories of Hurricane Camille's destruction in 1969. The things she saw, the things they endured, how it compared to the devastation of Katrina. Stories of parties from Yacht Clubs past and how at one point, because of all the storms, the "club" was nothing but a single-wide trailer and the four couples in town still willing to pay dues, and how they would play cards and drink cocktails just like before--unaware, at least for a little while, of mother nature's depredation all around them. She talked about her husband of 55 years, Earnest, who passed away nearly 5 years ago. The children they raised, the love they shared... She said things like "summa" and "motha" and "Suga" and I loved it. But she also wanted to know all about the wedding and who would be there. If there would be any attractive young men there for us to dance with, and all the men she would love to set Caroline up with--- grandsons of all her other friends who are also 30 and single but scattered throughout the U.S making it nearly impossible for them to meet. "If only we could get them together," MiMi said. "I'm just SURE they would fall in love with each other." Hahahahaaha.

See--this is what I love about being a Southern, adult woman. You can put two or three of us in a room, anywhere, at any age, any stage of life, and chances are we are going to bond over the same things: Alcohol, men, and laughter. It is a strange and wonderful thing.

After brunch, Caroline and I had enough time to go back to our hotel and nap (those mimosas had done their job) and shower in time for the reception. We picked MiMi up as she was also invited. I complimented the way she was wearing her hair, because I was pretty sure it was different than it had been at brunch. She said, "Thanks, suga, I cut it myself. It wouldn't do right so I just cut it mySELF." Hahaha-awesome.

We got a history lesson on the whole ride over to the reception site in Pass Christian. Stories of all the old buildings that still remained and how they were used during "the war." We danced and drank and had a big time all night, and when we took her home she invited us in to see her paintings. MiMi has apparently taken up painting in the past two years and is actually really good! "Never too old to learn a new skill," she said.

When we left, I gave her a hug, relatively sure I'd never see her again-- but definitively sure that I wanted to be just like her when I am 82. It is absolutely possible to rock at any age, and I fully intend on it! Here's to MiMi Martin and her utter awesomeness. I'm so glad I got the chance to meet you!

1 comment:

  1. AWWWWW MiMi Martin....makes me miss Lilly Pearl and Margaret. Can't wait to see you Thursday!

    ReplyDelete