My Blog List

Pages

Total Pageviews

Friday, November 13, 2009

CMA's & Birthdays

CMA's & Birthdays

Okay, so I am not going to lie. I'm not a huge fan of country music anymore. I know this comes as a shock to a lot of you readers... okay, well, all 7 of you... but the stuff they are playing on country radio and selling on music row right now stinks, and I hate it. The vast majority of it at least.

The stuff of the early 90's... Suzy Boggus, Vince Gill, Sammy Kershaw, Kathy Mattea, Garth Brooks, Tricia Yearwood (before the nuptials), Alan Jackson, Dan Seals, Johnny Lee, Keith Whitley, Allison Kraus, Mary Chapin Carpenter... etc, etc, etc. Those were the singers and the songs that made me want to move to Nashville and be a country music singer. I was 12 years old, and I said it loud and I said it proud for everyone to hear because that music MOVED me. I felt it in my SOUL. I didn't care what other people thought about it OR me because I was passionate about it, and I believed in what they were singing!!! Man, I get excited just thinking about it!

...This just is not the case today. Now it's all one hit wonder beauty queens who can hardly sing and men in graphic tee's who straighten their hair. They all probably spend more time in the gym than they do on their music. At least it SOUNDS that way. In late 2005, a song called Honkey-Tonk Ba Donka Donk actually made it to number 2 on the country charts. That's about the time I gave up on it.

I could go on and on and on about this subject but in the interest of staying on today's topic at hand, let's talk about the CMA's shall we?

I was multi-tasking, so I can't say that I watched it ALL, but I did see at least 75% and I can tell you one thing beyond a shadow of a doubt: Award shows.................Make. Me. AWKWARD.

OH MY WORD, it is excruciating to have to sit there and watch these people who ARE NOT ACTORS try to get up there and be funny, or serious or sincere, or sarcastic or what have you. The whole time--all I can think about is how mortified they are going to be when they watch this play back on their DVR! I mean-- seriously-- I can't be the only one who is thinking this! Stresses me out. A couple of things-- and then let's move on:

Jennifer Nettles (of Sugarland): Is your accent for REAL? I mean--where exactly are you FROM?! I'm sure there is a voice coach or image consultant you could meet with before the next big awards show... And WHAT WERE YOU THINKING asking Brooks & Dunn to get on stage and speak when you had just won THEIR award? Hahahahaha. Oh, it was just so awkward I have to laugh to keep from CRYING! Ahahahaha.

Taylor Swift: Sweetie, were you really THAT surprised EVERY time they called your name up there? Really? Okay, well, I guess that explains why you didn't take the time to put any forethought into what you were going to say IF in fact you did win an award... or FOUR. Seriously, if you are in need of a good publicist, I know some people. You made me really really really awkward with that whole "reading my diary" speech. Let's work on this for next year. I think you are a talented writer, a mediocre singer, and a good role model for all of your adoring tweenager fans out there... Let's just work on our delivery a bit, okay? Okay.

Carrie Underwood: You are really really pretty.

Okay, I'm done. That's about it for the CMA's. Oh, accept I did want to mention that I currently like that Tim McGraw song that talks about Apalachicola... so I guess there are exceptions to every rule... and hope for country music?... ... Jury is still out, but I'm not holding my breath.

I haven't left my roots THAT far behind, for any of you wondering what I do listen to nowadays. I am constantly finding/hearing new awesome bands on our local Nashville Station, Lightning 100, and basically love anything that involves a banjo, harmonica, piano, mandolin, or horn! Rockabilly, bluegrass, folk, acoustic sounding music or a combination of any of the above really seeps into my soul. I still love lyrics more than anything though and that's why ba donka donk's and big green tractors just don't do it for me anymore.

*Artists to google and learn and love, for example would be:
The Avett Brothers
Todd Snider
Conner Oberst
Nick Pagliari
Chris Milam
Kings of Leon

...That's just to name a few....

Okay, so... I turned 29 yesterday! I know that some people think birthdays are depressing but I can't for the life of me figure out WHY?! Who doesn't love a BIRTHDAY?! People come out of the WOODWORK to wish you well and it is always so fun to see who forgets and who remembers, and which medium they will use to inform you of the recognition of your birth: Facebook, email, phone call, text message, e-card, or the very archaic birthday note delivery by way of the US Postal Service-- So exciting! I am blessed beyond belief to have so many caring and amazing friends who wished me well yesterday. One of my friends, Holly, who is *slightly* older, said to me: "each year just gets better and better", and I really, truly believe that. I wouldn't go backward at all (unless we're talking about time traveling--because THAT I would totally do). But, I am learning so much about myself with every new day and each year that passes. What I want. What I can't have. What I will tolerate. What I cannot. Who my real friends are and why. I love a God who I can turn to when I am hopeless, hurting, lonely, happy, excited, doubtful, or scared, and he loves me back, always. I have my health, hope, faith, friends, and a future in Christ, and I can't WAIT to see what my 29th year brings with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment