My Blog List

Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Laughs As of Late

I feel extraordinarily blessed to be living in a world with emails, and text messaging, and blogging, and Itunes and Google and Facebook!

Can any of you believe that the ONLY way to communicate with people used to be through letter-writing... or telegram.. or cable!? (Although, I don't really know what "cable" means---it doesn't sound at all convenient. Am I right?) Anyway, this idea of only being able to write IS sort of romantic though, don't you think. I know that I have complained before on here of men using the text message as a lame, passive, immature, inconsiderate way to pursue a relationship with someone of the opposite sex --(wait-- I didn't? Well, I meant to..) But, anyway, now I am changing my tune. I've decided I'm going to start trying to think of these such advances as mini-telegrams. Short, sweet, to the point... I wonder how long I can keep it up. For now, I am enthralled with the idea.

Why?...You may ask? I have just finished reading the most wonderful book. It is called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The entire novel is made up of a (fictitious) collection of letters, cables, and telegrams written about the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII. Juliet Ashton is always writing or receiving the letters and my, how she made me laugh! ... and cry...and then laugh some more! Of course, all the stuff about the concentration camps and the injustices that were forced upon these people was simply horrible. But there is more joy in this book than sadness for sure. Here are two of my favorite quotes of hers from the novel:

1. I suppose I do have a suitor, but I'm not really used to him yet. He's terribly charming and he plies me with delicious meals, but I sometimes think I prefer suitors in books rather than right in front of me. How awful, backward, cowardly, and mentally warped that will be if it turns out to be true.

2. My neighbor Evangeline Smythe is going to have twins in June. She is none too happy about it, so I am going to ask her to give one of them to me.

Hahahaa. She is a strange and funny lady... not entirely unlike myself...

In other news, my friend Heidi and I hosted our supper club at my house last night. We had a Mexican themed dinner and calamity, of course, ensued. I've posted pictures of the "activity portion" of the evening below. We laughed and laughed and laughed at everyone being dizzy and trying frantically to swing and hit the pinata. It proved challenging for most. Ha. I hope you can enjoy the photos at least a fraction of the amount I enjoyed having everyone over.

Until next time,
Yours ever,
Myra

(this is the way Juliet signed all her letters... I may adopt it and try and pass it off as my own).





No comments:

Post a Comment